History of Our Club
The Abbotsford Rod and Gun club originated in 1946, and has had since its inception, two name changes. The first, changed the name to the Abbotsford Fish, Game and Forest Protective Association. The Second, change shortened the name to the present title of Abbotsford Fish and Game Club. The organization became registered under the societies act in 1947, making it an official non-profit organization.
During the early years the meetings were held in the members homes and social events took place in rented facilities in the area (usually the Hungarian Hall). As income resulted from these functions, plans to purchase suitable property for development of a rifle shooting range were developed. The first property purchased by the club was east of the town of Abbotsford, just off the original Trans Canada highway (old Yale Road). The land was cleared and a Quonset style club house 90’x30′ with an indoor range was constructed. The majority of materials & labour were donated by the members themselves. The original shot gun enthusiasts soon got their part of the range functioning as well with a trap house and additional shelter.
In general things were going well until housing development in the area began creeping too close to the range. By 1970, with rapid development in the vicinity, outdoor safety became critical and a decision to relocate was made. After 3 years of hard work by the club members finally located suitable property – an abandoned Municipal gravel pit. Purchased from the district of Abbotsford, the property consisted of approximately 3 level acres and 14 acres up the south side of Sumas Mountain. Many months later, the overgrown, rocky mosquito farm had reclaimed to the point of construction of a new facility could begin.
Our present location of 4161 Lakemount Lodge Road boasts a concrete block structure 120′ x 50′ with several 12′ annexes for storage on the east side and a 22 position covered outdoor range which includes a 100m rifle range and 2 trap houses complete with a roomy completely renovated trap lounge in 2009. In the 1990’s the street name was renamed to just Lakemount Road.
Summer of 2010 we have improved our facilities to include a 60m range and a 20m range with large halogen night lights and these two ranges are open from 10am to10pm 7 days a week.
Along with the improvements we have installed an up to date indoor range like no other in the area. Come check us out.
A number of groups operate under the parent club, including Small bore .22 Rifle, Pistol, PPC (Precision Pistol Club), A.T.S (Abbotsford Tactical Shooters), Trap Club (Abbotsford Trap Club), Fishing Club and Archery who share the 16 position indoor range. The Sagittarius Archers division of the club started in the early 1980’s using the 20 yard. indoor range. They now have 2 sets of outdoor ranges, 20 yard’s all the way to 70 yard’s. They also have a 40 yard 3D animal course carved out on the mountain to hold shoots and practices.
One of our projects completed by many volunteer club members is our second story addition over the entrance hall and a kitchen area. The second story contains a comfortable lounge area with view windows overlooking the outdoor range. Through contributions, this area has been furnished with: soft furniture, a fireplace, large oval table (meetings are held here), trophy cabinets, and a large number of mounted animals and water foul.
The club hosts many annual events including the Annual Game Supper/Dance in February and the annual Open House in July as well as many sub-club tournaments. Also many of the sub clubs host tournaments. The club offers from time to time depending on demand the “CORE Program” (Conservation and Outdoor Education) and a variety of other course offerings.